Flapper's

It's not clear how or when the term Flapper first wound its way into the American vernacular. The expression probably originated in pre war England. According to a 1920's fashion writer, "flapper" initially described the sort of teenage girl whose gawky frame and posture were "supposed to need a certain type of clothing-long, straight lines to cover her awkwardness-and the stores advertised these gowns as "flapper-dresses."

About Me

Braintree, Essex, United Kingdom
I am a mature student,in my final year studying for a BA Hons in Fashion and Textiles. I have two children who give me lots of encouragement. They are both studying, one is currently at home and other living in London, but with whom I speak daily. I have a love of anything from the 1920's and have recently read a book that had the title "Flapper." The author was Joshua Zeitz and I found it to be an entertaining read. This is where I got the idea for the title for my Blog, Girlish Delights in Barrooms.

Sunday 6 June 2010

Graduate Fashion Week.




My final major project is complete and this week i'm exhibiting at Graduate Fashion Week, at Earls Court in London. It's exciting as this is what we have been working towards. A chance for us to show our work to the industry. I am hoping that I will get a good reaction towards my work and maybe good contacts along the way.
I volunteered to help set up our stand, which consisted of the two of the cutting tables from our studio along with some old glass scientific equipment from a nearby school. We also used some coat hangers that we have suspended above and tied to a lighting rig we hired. We have filled the glass bottles with the off-cuts of some of the students work. My work has also been placed in and around the glassware. We have four spot lights that when they are turned on give the appearance of sunlight flooding on to the glassware and also makes the hangers sparkle.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers