Flapper's

It's not clear how or when the term Flapper first wound its way into the American vernacular. The expression probably originated in pre war England. According to a 1920's fashion writer, "flapper" initially described the sort of teenage girl whose gawky frame and posture were "supposed to need a certain type of clothing-long, straight lines to cover her awkwardness-and the stores advertised these gowns as "flapper-dresses."

About Me

Braintree, Essex, United Kingdom
I am a mature student,in my final year studying for a BA Hons in Fashion and Textiles. I have two children who give me lots of encouragement. They are both studying, one is currently at home and other living in London, but with whom I speak daily. I have a love of anything from the 1920's and have recently read a book that had the title "Flapper." The author was Joshua Zeitz and I found it to be an entertaining read. This is where I got the idea for the title for my Blog, Girlish Delights in Barrooms.

Saturday 13 February 2010

A day out in London.

Yesterday I travelled into London and met up with my daughter. We had a great day and visited some interesting exhibitions. The first was a photographic exhibition at the Idea Generation Gallery, near to Liverpool Street station. The work was by Nat Finkelstein who was a photo journalist,who had taken iconic and intimate photos of people such as Andy Warhol in the 1960's. It was a great insight into the lives of the people he photographed, as well as the times in which they had been taken.
We then took a trip to Marylebone, to Alfies Antique Market, this is an interesting place , great to wander around and we are able to see lots of items from furniture, to textiles and jewellery.
Afterwards we went onto Oxford Circus, Regent St and Carnaby St, just off here I was able to buy some lovely beads that I hope to use in my final major project.
We then went to visit the amazing house of John Soames in Holborn, his vast collection sprawled through out the intire house and we didn't know where to look first!
Finally we went to the Hunterian Museum which was close by, in Lincoln's Inn Fields, at the Royal College of Surgeons. This museum housed a fascinating collection of animal and human anatomy and pathology, as well as art work and surgical instruments. We unfortunately didn't have very long in here but it was well worth the look and somewhere I would like to visit again.
Today I'm at home and although I feel exhausted I'm really glad we packed so much into our day yesterday.

1 comments:

Anneka said...

I hope you didn't sit on any of those teasels......I would definately agree the Soames house is amazing, such a huge collection all in one house.....

Post a Comment

Followers